RE:speedo cal values

To: "Mercier, Murry J" <mercierm@BATTELLE.ORG>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:speedo cal values
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:19:10 -0500
Message text written by "Mercier, Murry J"
>Tony,

>I have been reading the exchanges on the subject and offer the following
>FWIW. The value is less than desired since my TR6 is a hybrid with no record
>to trace origins.

I know that problem with my white one!!!

>After purchase I found a collection of drive-train parts contributing to a
>sizable speedo error (~20% fast).

I know that problem too!!!

>Speedo: 1000, SN 6411/10
>Car: '73 TR6 CF10027U
>Engine: circa '70 TR6 CC53550E
>Trans: circa '64 TR4A CT57639 with OD
>Diff: ?? TR? CD19302, 4.1?(calc from Tach RPM and radar meas. speed, @ 1,500
>rpm(OD off): Radar= 35 mph/Speedo= 42 & Radar= 29/ Speedo= 35)
>Tires: 205/70/15

>If you like I will send the Lotus123 .wk4 file with my calculations and
>assumptions which led me to believe that the rear end was a 4.1.

Yes, please do send the file.  Use the oldest format possible as my spreadsheet
is an ancient version of quattro.

>After counting the number of speedo cable revs I had Bob Nisonger
>recalibrate/rebuild (odometer was broken) to closest gear (1165).  I have
>yet to check by radar but a partial check with 5 mile-markers at 60 mph for
>60 sec* 5 indicates a slightly higher/fast reading.

Hmmmm.  I guess you did a reading on a run on a measured road.  How far did
you drive for the calibration?  What measurements did you give them?  The
calibration they gave you was only a 16.5% improvement.  It looked like you
needed
around a 1200 calibration, and they ought to have been able to get closer
if you told them 20%.  Even a "standard" 1184 would have worked better!

I wonder what gearing they used to recalibrate!  1165 is only evenly divisible
by 5.....  Strange.  Is 1165 correct?

>Great work on the speedo article and pictures on your web site.  If I pick
>up a used speedo I will be tempted to try my hand at a rebuild, especially
>if I must change the differential.  Something is vibrating and thumping.  I
>will start with drive shaft u-joints and a balance then to half shafts.

No, don't change the differential!  Unless you need to for something other
than the calibration.  I had the same vibration.  It was a nasty combination
of factors.  The main thing was the drive shaft was bent and out of balance.
To reduce the vibration, I think somebody re-indexed the drive shaft yokes so
they were "misaligned", but that vibration somewhat counteracted the intrinsic
vibration.  Nevertheless, there was still bad vibration that destroyed the
U-joints.
When they got loose, the vibration was very bad.  I found that the drive
shaft was indexed wrong and fixed it.  WHOAH!!!  When I got to 60, I thought
something came apart the vibration was so bad.  I fixed the ujoints and found
that the vibration was still present but reduced.  I had the drive shaft
balanced
and straightened and that cured it!  I think there MIGHT be s slight vibration
in one half shaft (possibly bad u-joint), but I will live with it for now.

Take your drive shaft to a "shop" with 2 new u-joints and let them
straighten and balance it, as well as do the joints.  My cost was $60 for the
entire job.
I removed/reinstalled it myself.

>This was an interesting puzzle for a novice LBCer (never owned/drove/worked
>on any TR before Sep 97 when I went to the Summer Party to take pictures of
>cars and talk to folks... came home to buy my TR6... that is another tale)

>We are starting a new all Triumph club, Buckeye TRIUMPHS, in central Ohio
>and would appreciate permission to reprint your speedo article.  We have 39
>paid members from a Dept of Motor Veh. List  membership mailing (>300
>registered Triumphs in the 5-county area, >2,300 in all Ohio) and will meet
>the new members at a reception on the 20th of March.

GO ahead and print it.  Just give me credit!  Mainly, I want whatever
feedback they will give so I can improve the article.  Also, give my
email and webpage address.  That way if there are any questions I can help.

-Tony