Re: Mustang...Spitfire???

To: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Mustang...Spitfire???
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:49:29 -0800
Cc: Shawn Loseke <SLoseke@vines.colostate.edu>, "Dr. Faustus" <faustus@inconnect.com>, Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

"Paul J. Burr" wrote:

> OK, how do you explain the Viper,  the new Corvette, and the '99 Mustang
> Cobra? They'll paste just about anything euro or Asian to a wall, and
> usually at about half the cash outlay. And, the old saw about American
> muscle cars only being straight line performers doesn't apply any more.

All good examples of American Ingenuity.  However, I am reminded of a
race I attended in 1973 at Brands Hatch (England).  One heat had a
couple of Camaros, a couple of Mustangs and some assorted european iron
in a race against a Ford Escort RS1600.  In the straights the Camaros
and Mustangs battled it out with the Camaros edging out the Fords.
However in the corners, that little RS1600 would come screaming by the
whole field only to be passed again midway down the straights.

Afterwards, I decided that I wanted one until I discovered that they
were not exported to the US because of Safety and emissions concerns.
So I bought a '52 MGTD instead.  What it lacked in performance, it more
than made up for in chick appeal!

Joe

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer