Re: Hella H4's

To: jaltman@altlaw.com
Subject: Re: Hella H4's
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:37:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim :

Assuming they are 7" round, the only other variation I'm aware of is
which way they dip (right or left).  Usually, you can see the extra
wedge-shaped 'diffuser' section in the lens, which for US use should be
on the lower right, as you look at the lens (ie on the left side of the
car).

Ordinary 55/60 watt bulbs can usually be found at a parts store (I got
one from Pep Boys last year).  J.Z. Witless carries several higher power
versions (up to 100/165 watts !) if you want to 'wilt the leaves on the
trees' <g>.

They will probably work OK on the stock wiring, but I'd suggest adding
relay(s).  Quartz-halogen bulbs are sensitive to low voltage, which will
lead to an early demise.  I've used both the 'dual-headlight' relay and
the '30 amp heavy-duty relay kit' from Whitney with good luck.  The
'dual headlight' version makes for neater wiring, but costs more.
Be sure to keep the bulb surface as clean as possible.  Don't touch it
with your fingers, or clean it with solvent if you do.  Supposedly, any
dirt or oil (like fingerprints) on the bulb will cause a hot spot which
will lead to bulb failure.

Disclaimer : These things are still illegal in some states (like CA),
but I've never heard of anyone actually being stopped for it.  I used a
pair of Marchall's back when it was against federal law, and never had
any complaints.  However, I once had a friend following me in that car
with the high beams on, and I'll swear the back of my neck got hot !

Randall