Re: Wrinkle paint woes...

To: <JoEllisTR3@aol.com>, " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wrinkle paint woes...
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 99 05:41:34 -0800
I just used the black krinkle paint from my local harware store and got
it to work fine...on the third try.

Take all the gauges out and remove all traves of the previous finish.
The plate needs to be dry and free of any dirt grease or solvents.  I
discovered that solvent residue can affect the way the paint goes on by
overlooking a little.  The aint runs easily and will never look right if
it does.  The wrinkling is indeed termerature sensitive.

I live on the coast and it gets up to seventy maybe three months out of
the year.  I used a har dryer to get the panel up to temperature and to
assure that there was no moisture on the panel.  I would suggest working
at the low end of the suggested temp range for fine wrinkling.

The key for me was starting with a clean panel and removing the new paint
if there was any inprefection. clean, clean, clean and on the third time
even I got it right.

Oh and you will need all new rubber 'O' rings under your gauges.

>We are having trouble getting the black wrinkle paint to work properly on the
>center dash console (TR3). We purchased the paint from Moss. The fellow
>painting the dash console for me has tried three times with poor results. The
>paint is far too wrinkled (large scale wrinkles, unlike the original small
>subtle wrinkles). I know it is very temperature sensitive., but he swears he
>is following the directions on the can.
>
>One more question, is it best to remove the gauges, or let sleeping dogs lie?
>I don't want to risk breaking the gauge lenses, but perhaps the paint would
>work better if the gauges weren't there to "pool" the paint around them. Any
>thoughts?
>
>Thanks!

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

Walk in harmony with the earth and all her creatures and you will create
beauty wherever you go.