Re: PI/Bosch Line Pressure

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PI/Bosch Line Pressure
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:05:04 GMT
On 26 Mar 1999, davhill@cwcom.net wrote:

> Question is, has someone fitted this without adjusting the regulator.

The pressure regulator should be set to suit the *injectors*, not the
pump.

> know the Bosch pump runs at higher pressure than the Lucas

The Bosch pumps are designed for electronically governed injectors, and
are designed to run at a *lower* pressure. AFAIK.

Anyway, the regulator should basically not be touched.

Since the Bosch pumps (depending on model) may have a lower pressure than
the Lucas, you should check that the pump is indeed able to reach the
regulator pressure. If it doesn't, not only will the injectors suffer,
the pump will not receive proper cooling, either. The check is easy, just
undo the overflow tube from the regulator, and check the flow, engine not
running. The specs are on my PI page.

If your Bosch pump isn't able to pump enough fuel at the reqd. pressure,
you could consider lower line pressure to increase cooling. I would
definitely advice against this, though, since it will also effect injector
performance.

> Nothing appears to leak but there
> is a permanent smell of stale fuel in the car, which I put down to a
> breather needing re-routing.

Leaks has basically nothing to do with fuel pressure, though.

Small fuel leaks can be quit ehard to find. Suspect any joint, and any
rubber or plastic tube in the fuel system.

> The pump kit looks pretty new but the pump does go 'moo' briefly on
> starting after a longish period unused.

> Could this indicate low feed pressure from the tank and
> the possible need for a helper pump?

AFAIK, the Lucas pump is a better sucker than the Bosch. If you do the
overflow check while the 'moo' appears, you can check if the flow is
interrupted.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway