RE: resetting odometer

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: resetting odometer
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 10:13:53 -0500
Brian,
The little metal fingers to which you refer when resetting the odometer only
are seen on "early" speedometers.  From about TR4A on (~1965), they
seem to have gone to a less expensive mechanism, and the wheels have to
be advanced mile by mile to the desired reading, OR you have to disassemble
the odometer wheels off the shaft, and reassemble with the correct reading.

I refer you to my speedo manual:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

I just wish all the speedos were like the "early" ones!!!

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: Odometer Resetting - An Ethical Question??

Gary,

I have been down the same path with a TR4 this winter... rebuild engine and
gearbox and restore dash.

I reset my speedometer for the same reasons stated.  The reading on the
speedo was not reliable and did represent the true state of anything and I
wanted to start fresh with my new rebuild.

You reset the odometer by just clicking the wheels back to zero with a
pointed pick.  You should be able to see the ratchet spring on each wheel
that make it go in one direction only and just push the wheel around in the
right direction.
<