Re: Dust Covers/Wheel Cylinders

To: reagntsj@ricochet.net, Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dust Covers/Wheel Cylinders
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 18:29:20 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello all,

I love that line, "assembly is reverse of removal".

Assuming the thing was assembled correctly to begin with!

Those wheel cylinder fitting kits are really something.  Got to be one of the
worst arrangements I have ever seen.  Very few people get them back together
properly.

Here's how I just did it on my 70 Vixen today:

To get a good idea how these parts go together, start by stacking them one on
top of the other on the workbench.  First, the rubber dust cover.  Lay it flat
on the table, with the small slot for the emergency brake lever pointing up.
The two larger U-shaped clips are different.  One is flat, and the other has a
slight bow.  The bowed one has two small raised areas on the open end.  Lay
this in the rectangular opening of the dust cover.  You will see that it fits
in there quite nicely with the raised tips pointing upwards.  (The closed end
of the U-shaped piece goes towards the emegency brake lever.) Set the other U-
shaped piece on top of it so that the raised tips fit in the reliefs cut into
the flat U-shaped piece.  Take the third piece, the one much smaller than the
others and set it on top of the first two, with the little tabs pointing
upwards.  The top piece goes the same way as the middle piece---the open end
towards the emegency brake lever.

That's the way it goes on the car, with the bow shaped piece against the
backing plate, tips pointing towards the center of the car, closed end towards
the emergency brake lever.  This will take a little playing around with to get
installed.  It's a little dance with the cylinder, emergency brake lever, and
spring clip. Next, the flat piece, then the small one.  The little one will
offer up some resistance.  Be careful not to bend it out of shape.  A small
block of wood and hammer help get this piece in.

The dust cover slides over the Emergency brake lever, and just under and
around the middle spring clip.

Hope this helps!

Oh, removal is reverse of installation!! :>)

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA
64 TR4
65 TR4A-IRS