Fixing loose rubber on steering wheel

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fixing loose rubber on steering wheel
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:10:53 -0500
Hi guys,

As you may remember, I had the rubber grip on my TR6 steering wheel pull loose.
I had many reports of failed attempts to re-glue the rubber.  Most of these
attempts involved slitting the rubber so new glue could be swabbed into the
loose area.  Since these attempts reliably failed, I tried to come up with
something else.  I borrowed some materials from my Radio Controlled Airplane
hobby and thought of "super" cyanoacrylate glue.

Well, I dredged up a 3cc syringe and a needle.  Actually the needle was fatter
than I had planned (18 gauge), but it worked really well.  I filled the syringe
with
"thin" cyanoacrylate glue (got it from a hobby shop) and then injected
the glue, about 1cc every 2 inches along the rim of the wheel in the loose
section.
I had to refill the syringe 3 times because I did not fill it enought the first
two times.  It was very hard filling the syringe as the needle did not reach
far enough in the bottle to draw the glue up by suction.  I had to remove
the plunger and pour it in from the rear which made a HUGE mess as I reinserted
the plunger....

The injection was done obliquely so the glue would have a harder
time running back out.  The injection was done from the inner rear side to make
any marks less noticeable.

Anyway, the initial results are extremely encouraging!  It seems to be VERY
solid.  Time will tell how it stands up, but if it has a good bite into
the rubber, and not just on to old glue, then it ought to work well, even
against metal.

If it fails I will let you know.

-Tony