Insurance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Insurance
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:37:49 -0500
Cc: KREMNICK@BLANKROME.COM
from: "Richard Kremnick" <>

>I have a 1971 TR6 which is currently insured with St. Paul.  There are a number
of >significant restrictions on my ability to use the car including a complete
bar on its use >to commute to work or to go shopping.  I would appreciate
hearing about anybody's >experience with another insurer who will provide less
restrictive coverage including >occasional use of the car to drive to work or to
a movie theater etc.  Also, any >experience you have had with claims you have
submitted would be most appreciated. T.I.A.

Richard, that's the same limitation I have with my company, Classic Cars, but at
the rates they charge ($119 for full $10K coverage), that's about the best I can
hope for (I pay close to $1K for my two daily drivers, rates are high in
Texas!).  Most of the major companies here in Texas will only insure for
libility as the cars are not considered (by them) to be worth anything.  I have
heard on this list that most of these companies are very good about settlements,
but have no direct knowledge.  If you are concerned, perhaps you could
negotitate with your major carrier for full coverage, especially if you have
several cars and your home insured with them, but I tried that and it didn't
work.  So I just take my chances when I go to the store or mall and use several
methods to disable the car to avoid theft.   My office overlooks the parking
lot, so I can drive the TR3 to work occasionally and still keep an eye on it!