Re: LBC and Bagpipes

To: "R. Blair" <rdblair@ix.netcom.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LBC and Bagpipes
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:33:05 -0400
At 11:21 AM -0400 5/5/99, R. Blair wrote:
>With all the comments on the pipers at the car shows.  I will be sure to
>bring my pipes in the future.

I'd welcome that! I love pipe music. A couple pipe stories:

A couple years ago at British Invasion in Vermont, the weather was
horrible; rain and cold. As the crowd and cars were filing from the field,
there was a tall, red-haired fellow (a true Highlander) in a kilt playing
"Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes. It was quite a sight, this fellow standing
in the mud and rain, playing a hymn.

A number of years ago, I was working a start control at a rally in central
PA. We were literally miles from any houses and in the woods. Off in the
distance, I started to hear pipe music and very gradually it grew louder.
After a bit, I was convinced it was not a recording, but someone playing
the bagpipes. Sure enough, there was an older gentleman come walking up the
hill, playing the bagpipes. He stopped and talked for a few minutes, we
exchanged pleasantries and he fired up his pipes and continued on his way.
A bit later, a woman drove up and asked if we had seen a fellow playing the
bagpipes. Well, yes, we had. She explained that is was her husband, out for
a walk, and she needed to talk to him.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (22 year owner)