RE: Tubing for brake, clutch and fuel lines on '76 TR6

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tubing for brake, clutch and fuel lines on '76 TR6
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:07:42 -0700
Egil :

I don't honestly know.  I couldn't find any reference to the DOT standards
for solid brake lines on the web & as I said my local state standards just
say the brakes have to work.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time they
refused to approve a superior technology and require cars to be downgraded
to be brought into the US.  (For instance, teflon flexible brake lines have
only recently been approved, after much pressure from car makers both
domestic and foreign.)

Are you sure they use pure copper and not copper plated steel or a copper
alloy like Cunifer ?  The work hardening problem is very real (I've seen
copper lines break), and I can't believe a car maker would use pure copper,
especially a safety conscious one like Volvo.

Randall