Re: 1974 Wiring Harness Installation

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1974 Wiring Harness Installation
From: George Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:39:50 -0700
Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC wrote:

> Fellow LisTRs --
> My local mechanic said that I need a new main wiring harness in my '74 TR6.
> .... The DPO or DPPO used tape to keep the factory-installed
> ignition key in the "on" position under the steering column....

Yikes -- that has to be the most round about fix for a faulty ignition
switched ever devised.

Other than that, what is the condition of the wiring?  What you
described would seem to be easily repaired correctly by replacing the
ignition switch.  Might have been avoided before because of the
break-off bolts I think they used on TR6s that would have to be drilled
or cut out.

I'd examine the condition of the harness throughout the car (and
consider if I'm having other electircal problems) to see if a new
harness is really needed.  Many DPO patches, many corroded connectors,
damaged insulation, replaced portions of wiring, etc. would be signs
that a new harness is needed.

As noted in another post, patience and attention to detail are about all
that are needed to do a harness.  Tool requirement is minimal and
everything you need to know about electrics was probably covered in your
8th grade shop class.

Good Luck.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A