Re[2]: Don't dip that in acid just yet...

To: "kormanfastbmw@worldnet.att.net" <kormanfastbmw@worldnet.att.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Bud Rolofson" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>
Subject: Re[2]: Don't dip that in acid just yet...
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 8:23 -0800
Bud wrote:
Does media blasting remove oil and grease completely?[snip]YES[snip]

I have a frame that the PO oiled to prevent rust.  Does metal in body panels and
frames absorb anything from being coated with oil that might bleed out later or
is it just on the surface?[snip]Generally, no, it would only remain on the
surface[snip]
 There is a place here in Denver that will media blast the frame to gray metal
for $80 and one that will chemical (caustic soda bath, then water washed, then
dipped in a rust inhibitor/neutralizer) dip it for $170.[snip]Go with the media
blasting, especially for a frame.  I had my Spit frame blasted, it turned out
great, and it was caked in grease, oil, dirt - you name it[snip]
  I've heard of bleed problems from seams where the caustic soda doesn't get
completely removed.  But I also don't want a bleed problem from oil residue in
the metal.[snip]Yes, seepage CAN be a problem sometimes - it just depends.  And
no, you won't get oil seepage - there is no oil residue "in" metal.[snip]
If oil on metal is just a surface effect then cheaper (media blasting) will win
the day.[Agree]  Comments?

Ross Vincenti
Temporarily Triumph-less
1964 Porsche 356