spring spacer

To: "dac" <dac@hawaii.rr.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: spring spacer
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:40:50 -0400
Message text written by "dac"
>I am in the middle of front suspension rebuild. When I took off
my springs they had a spacer. It's a '65 TR4A IRS. I have seen in
the parts catalog a short and long spring. I took this to mean if
you use the short spring you need the spacer.
Darrell<

I see in the Moss catalog that there are 2 kinds of springs and 2 kinds of
spacers.
The long springs use a shorter spacer, and vice versa.  I guess they try to get
the
same overall length.  It looks as if the stock front springs use a spacer
of some sort mo matter what.

What is the length of your spring (probably now shorter than it was when new)
and
what is the thickness of the spacer?

I am told, and it makes a lot of sense, that the TR6 springs were longer and
did not use a spacer.  The Moss blue mild comp springs are the TR6 length and
therefore should not require a spacer.

I can't tell if my front springs have a spacer stuck up in the shock tower.
I will tell sometime in the relatively near future.  In the meantime, I
will be riding a little higher in the rear than the front....

BTW, I have a picture of my 4A IRS when a couple of months old in 1967.
The rear wheel well is quite visible and when I whip out my micrometer and
measure the wheel circumference vs gap between tire and fender, I get a gap
of 2.7 to 3.3 inches depending on exactly where you think the top of the tire
is in the shadow.  My current driver (not the one in the picture) with a lowered
suspension has an inch or less of gap.  Not too pleasant: soon to be improved,
hopefully.