Re: Noise (Thrust Washers???)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Noise (Thrust Washers???)
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 09:23:20 -0400
Kai Radicke wrote:

> Okay...
>
> My car makes a wonderful new mechanical noise.
>
> On startup: no noise
> Warm idle: noise comes alive
> Driving: noise quite hearable
>
> Oil pressure is good through all conditions.
>
> Now, when clutch pedal is pressed the noise disappears.
>
> So a friend and I narrowed it down to thrust washers (hoping not), or a
> problem in the clutch itself.
>
> I pushed rearward on the crank and had him press the clutch pedal, and a
> noticeable movement was felt through the hand.. but very minuet, but
> definitely feelable.
>
> This noise sounds as if you were to tie a metal washer around a string and
> spin it around in a circle with the washer hitting metal as it travels
> around.  It isn't a steady noise, it has a random pattern... but it is
> steady in the fact that it is continuous.
>
> The problem arose as I was accelerating away from a stop, after about
> 15miles of driving directly before without any noise.  As I was leaving the
> stop sign at about 2000rpm this noise appeared.
>
> I'm hoping this is a clutch problem... as I'll be able to rip it all apart
> this weekend.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
> 1966 MGB -- Forsale!  $500 -- major (complete) project.  near Philadelphia
> PA
> 1974 Triumph TR6 -- Mechanical woes that are forcing the sale of the MGB.

Kai,

Sounds like a throwout bearing to me.  On the TR-6, the face of the bearing is
always
held in light contact with the clutch fingers.  When you put a load on the
bearing by
pressing the clutch, you are probably locking up the bearing and spinning the
sleeve
instead.  You can confirm the noise is the bearing with this simple test:

Support the car well on jackstands.  Run the car and listen for the noise.
Crawl
under the car and push the cross-shaft lever toward the front of the car
(working
against the clutch slave cylinder).  Doing this will pull the bearing back out
of
contact with the clutch fingers and the bearing will stop turning.  If the noise
stops, your bearing is due for replacement.  When you let go of the
cross-shaft, the
spring in the slave will push the lever back again putting the face of the
bearing
against the fingers of the clutch and the noise will most likely return.

Don't let the bearing go too long - I just got one in where the bearing was so
bad
that it broke off some of the fingers of the clutch, one of which got stuck
inside the
pressure plate and dug a big groove in the flywheel.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars