Re: Knock-off Question

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Knock-off Question
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:12:50 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Now that I have my car, you can all expect LOTS of questions. I'll start
>with an easy one...What type of hammer causes the least damage to
>knock-offs? I have a two-sided hammer, but both faces are copper.
>Wouldn't rawhide be a gentler choice? Thanks.
A soft lead or rawhide would be a better choice.  I  used a piece of 2 X 4
to use as a buffer before I got one of those two eared wrenches, with the
really long handle.  Even with that I still put a rag between the wrench
and the knockoff to prevent scratches.  You don't really need to whack the
h**l out of the knockoff to retain it.  Just a good "couple of wacks"
should do it.  With the wrench I just lean on it a bit and I'd say with my
weight, and the lever arm, I end up with roughly 150 to 180 ft/lbs