TR6 Tailshaft Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Tailshaft Seal
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 09:43:58 -0700
Hello again.

My next project on the TR6 is to replace the tailshaft seal.  Now, back in
1989 I rebuilt this gearbox myself and of course, replaced the tailshaft
bearing and seal at that time.  I have always had trouble with it leaking
(out the tailshaft) and last fall when I changed the clutch (I should have
dealt with this then, I know) I noticed two things:

1) When I separated the tailshaft drive flange from the propshaft's drive
flange, there was a considerable amount of OIL "trapped" in the void
between the drive flanges.

2) I could move the tailshaft drive flange back and forth along the end of
the mainshaft about 1/8 of an inch in distance, but the big nyloc nut is
still good and tight.

So, now that I think about it more, it appears that the seal itself may not
be the problem... the oil that I found inside the (assembled) drive flanges
means that the oil is coming past the washer and nut inside, right?

I guess my question is:  How could I have screwed this up?  What can you do
incorrectly when rebuilding a gearbox that would have this effect?

And then, of course, what could I do to fix it?  (short of removing and
dismantling the 'box) What about adding another washer under the nyloc to
take up the additional clearance?  Where did the "additional clearance"
come from?

When I rebuilt the 'box I didn't change the mainshaft, so nothing should've
changed.  The 'box has gone about 40,000 miles or so since the rebuild, and
aside from a 2nd gear synchro ring that seems to be getting a little
"touchy," the 'box has always worked just fine.

Any suggestions out there?

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6