Re: Torque Settings

To: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Subject: Re: Torque Settings
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 08:43:56 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.nett.com>

>I'm replacing the rod bearings on my '74 TR6. While I was under the car
  < snip >
>[someone]said I had tightened my
>crankshaft bearings too tight. Sure, enough, when I loosened my main
>bearings, the motor could be turned by the starter, but still not by hand.
>So,
Tightening the caps on any engine (with the proper clearances for the
bearings) WILL NOT cause the caps to distort to the point of seizing the
crank.  Even over tightening them WILL NOT, I REPEAT, WILL NOT cause this.
It would over stress the bolts and probably cause a bolt failure over time
or with load, but WON'T cause the crank to bind.  If you can't turn the
crank by hand, when re-installing the bearings, or installing new bearings,
then you have the wrong bearing's installed, or they are installed
incorrectly somehow.  DO NOT CONTINUE with this until you remedy the
situation or you will surely destroy the crankshaft in short order-