Re: Workbench and shelf building

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Workbench and shelf building
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:11:23 -0400
I'd like to add a few suggestions to what others have posted.  I tore down
a tiny 20x20 garage and  built my workshop/garage a decade ago.  If your
have the aptitude to learn to work on a car you can certainly learn basic
construction skills.  Suggest getting a basic carpentry book from your
local library or read one while at the free book store (scan thru the books
that appear pertinent at your local home improvement center).
1.  If your electrical supply will tolerate:  let the outlet circuit be 20
amp and pull wire for a 220 volt receptacle (future buzz box, air
compressor, etc.  I placed electrical outlets about every 8 to 10 ft. Do
not wire the outlets and the lights on the same circuit.  Today I would
space the outlets every 4 ft.  Plan for good lighting to properly
illuminate the garage.
2.  Insulate before you drywall.  This is a benefit both in winter and in
summer.  Very cost effective in the long run unless you live a year around
moderate temp climate.
3.  Depending on ceiling height, build deep shelves above the garage door.
These shelves would (structurally) hang from the ceiling.  An excellent
storage place for seasonal items, boxes of spares and a place to store
items during a restoration process.
4.  Prior to drywall,  reinforce the garage ceiling joists and lay decking
on your attic floor.  Also install a folding stairway for attic access.
Suggest placing the stairway so that you can access the attic with cars in
the garage.  The attic becomes a wonderful place to store spares that you
rarely need to access.
5.  Layout your garage floor plan and include equipment that you plan or
wish to acquire in the future so that you will have a place to put it when
you acquire tools/equipment including the services required electrical,
etc. for the equipment.