Re: Major TR250 progress and some questions (seats, body, IL registratio

To: Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Major TR250 progress and some questions (seats, body, IL registration)
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:19:38 -0500
At 10:31 PM 6/8/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Looking ahead a few weeks, I'll be a novice Illinois driver in the very near
>future.  I'm wondering about a few things.  Can someone clue me in on
>inspections required in Illinois?  I haven't registered the car in New York
>since 1995.  I think if I register it here they will make me pay the fees
>for the intervening years (96-99).  I'd like to avoid a NY registration
>altogether, if possible.  Can I register it in Illinois, get some sort of
>provisional sticker for necessary inspections and temporary license plates,
>then drive it to Illinois?  I will be in Chicago on June 25th, so I can
>probably spend some time in the appropriate DMV lines if necessary.

There are no mechanical inspections here in Illinois. If you live in the
Chicago area you do need to have the car
emissions tested, but it is a simple idle speed test done at a state run
facility. They don't check under the
hood and they don't use strict standards for older cars. My hopped up petrol
injected TR-6 passed the first time (FYI it also
passed in Pennsylvania).

You can register in Illinois if you have the title, proof of insurance, and a
drivers license. Once you register they'll
eventually mail you a notice about the emissions test but it took them 6 months
to get to mine, at which point I told
them the car was off the road for the winter and got a 6 month extension. I
think it costs $49.95 per year. They'll
give you a temporary sticker and mail you your plates (you need a front plate
here) in 30-60 days. Vanity plates
are an extra $10 per year plus a ~$75(?) fee the first year.

If your car is 25 years old or older you can get AV (antique vehicle) plates
for no additional cost, but (theoretically)
you can't use them on a daily driver- only for club/show/pleasure events. I
believe (but am not certain) that AV cars
are exempt from the emissions test.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com