[no subject]

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:48:30 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Hi gang, going on vacation (staying home) so I'll be in CaptGonzo mode for
several days...

Ok - Platinum plugs maybe ... but the Splitfires are a scam. FTC
investigating outrageous claims, fines levied, blah, blah, blah....

To prove an HP increase with a street engine on platinum plugs, I'd like to
see back to back dyno runs of platinum vs. regular (NEW) copper core and a
control plug. As far as I understood, the platinum just allows the tip of
the plug to run at a much higher temp, burning off ash deposits, etc. under
adverse conditions and increasing the life of the plug. If you burn a lot of
oil, (like in a Norton or a slightly bagged TR engine) the Platinum's a
GREAT idea. Or if you run greater clearances, ring gaps -- like in a racing
engine. But in a regular engine, one should address the cause, not the
symptoms....IMHO :>)

Hey, now what about those wild surface gap Bosch plugs that my Alfa Romeo
buddies swear by!

Chris Lillja AKA CaptGonzo
'66 TR4A
'74 Norton Commando 850 (Runs great on Champions or NGK's!)
'71 Spit MKIV (Just sits)

http://members.aol.com/lilljaweb/index.html