RE: Platinum plugs

To: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: RE: Platinum plugs
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:10:12 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Chris,

> Ok - Platinum plugs maybe ... but the Splitfires are a scam. FTC
> investigating outrageous claims, fines levied, blah, blah, blah....

Agreed!

> To prove an HP increase with a street engine on platinum plugs,
> I'd like to
> see back to back dyno runs of platinum vs. regular (NEW) copper core and a
> control plug. As far as I understood, the platinum just allows the tip of
> the plug to run at a much higher temp, burning off ash deposits,
> etc. under
> adverse conditions and increasing the life of the plug. If you
> burn a lot of
> oil, (like in a Norton or a slightly bagged TR engine) the Platinum's a
> GREAT idea. Or if you run greater clearances, ring gaps -- like
> in a racing
> engine. But in a regular engine, one should address the cause, not the
> symptoms....IMHO :>)

I'll show you Ken G.'s write up when we get together to work on the NJTA
website.

Also, <OPINION HERE> I figure the platinum would work like a catalyst and
kick off the burn process at a lower temperature (like all good catalysts)
and result in a longer burn duration.  Longer duration, more power generated
<REMEMBER, OPINION HERE>

> Hey, now what about those wild surface gap Bosch plugs that my Alfa Romeo
> buddies swear by!

If you mean the four prong Bosch platinum plugs, I'm running them in my Saab
and Chevy.  I feel they start faster when cold and the Saab digital MPG
meter, good for the last 1,000 miles is definitely up approx 10%.  BUT there
are definitely other factor at work there too.  My seat of the pants says
it's better, but I may just be justifying the higher cost to myself  :-)
Without a dyno, there is no way to tell.

Later,

Jack