howTR4 suspensn painted?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: howTR4 suspensn painted?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:47:48 EDT
Hello,

On the TR4 recently dismantled all front suspension parts as you recall-all
four front lower arm 'bush bores' are worn through and oblongigated-but let's
move on...

Does anyone know if all the suspension parts are supposed to be painted all
black? It seems, after scraping, gasolining, and wirebrushing 35 years of
junk off, that the 'pressed' suspension parts are still pretty well painted
black but the 'cast' pieces, ie; upper fulcrum pin, vertical link, mounting
plate for caliper, tie rod lever, ball joints, lower wishbone arms, are all
unfinished raw cast metal...and not bad as far as rust goes-really minimal if
any.

Is that right? no paint on the 'cast parts' and then black paint on the
'pressed parts'?

Should I paint everything? If the castings didn't rust by now seems I
shouldn't paint those pieces (besides-some fit together critically where
paint would seem to interfere).

Opinions?
The Workshop Manual in 'black and white' is hard to tell what was done
originally but I do have some 'assemblers' paint slashes in yellow and white
seemingly right on the bare metal castings near where the arms meet the
trunnions...(probably all those shims)
And is this the kind of thing Bill Piggott would show in Original TR books?
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74 ...and restoring and restoring...