Re: 654A Restoration

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: 654A Restoration
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 08:15:46 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim :

The OD tranny should drop right in.  Just like changing a regular
tranny, same bolts, same mounts.  You will need the speedo cable from
the 64, and it will have to be re-routed.  (With the OD, the speedo
takeoff is on the right instead of on the left, and further back.)
Presumably, you will also want to wire up the OD, but the relay and
switch should be straightforward to move.  Pay a little attention to how
things come apart, and you should have no trouble.

Of course, your '64 may be the one I owned briefly, years ago, and just
might not have it's original OD anymore <g>

The fuel pump doesn't pump air worth a sh**.  So, all you should feel is
the spring tension when you move the priming lever.  It's not a great
deal of tension, but you should have to anchor the pump body (or hold it
firmly in your other hand), to move the lever, and the lever should
definitely return by itself.  If you want to test it further off the
car, get a piece of fuel line and fitting to fit the outlet, then dunk
the inlet into some gasoline and pump.  Once it's primed, attach a fuel
pressure gauge (frequently built into a vacuum gauge) to the outlet and
see how much pressure you can pump up and how long it holds.  If it will
build 3-4 psi, and hold it for a minute, your pump is in good shape.
However, the pump is easy enough to change on a '4, so I'd probably just
put it back on the car and deal with any problems later.  Kinda depends
on your point of view <g>

Randall
59 TR3A "daily driver wanna be"