Re: Theft Proofing - switch locations anyone?

To: Kinderlehrer <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Theft Proofing - switch locations anyone?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:56:20 -0600
Kinderlehrer wrote:

> I was thinking once that a valve on the gas line that could operated by a
> remote control would be really cool.  (I think I would take my chances on
[snip]
> existed (is that good?)   Since you wouldn't have to actually access the
> switch, it could be located under the car in an inconvienient location.
> Anybody have any ideas on how to fabricate such a thing?  Or any thoughts on
> why its another hairbrained idea?

Uh, might work, but here's an example of what to watch out for with
regard to remote controls.... I raced at a circle track in Florida
which, years earlier in its history, nitrous oxide had been allowed,
presumably to satisfy the crowd's ever-increasing desire for mindless
excitement. But, as one might expect, nitrous was very hard on
everyone's pocketbook, and the speeds went up, and the accident rate
went up.

Probably for reasons of threatened termination of insurance, the owners
rescinded the nitrous oxide rule. Two partners, let's just call them Jim
Bob and Billy Bob (start to get the picture) decide that they were
having way too much fun and don't want to give it up. So, they build a
gas tank with the nitrous bottle inside, make the exit line look like
the vent line, snake it inside the tubing of the roll cage where a
hidden remote-controlled solenoid was installed in a hidden corner under
the dash. More subterfuge getting the line through the firewall and into
the engine.

No one noticed the violation at all. The plan was that when one of them
drove, the other would be in the pits with the radio-frequency remote
control. As the car left a turn for the straight, on would go the remote
control, solenoid opened, and the car would leap forward. Two-thirds of
the way down the straight, off goes the remote control, and whoever was
driving would slam on the brakes and enter the turn.

Worked great the first couple of weeks, but just when they thought they
had the timing down to a science, at almost the moment of shutdown, a
garbage truck on a nearby highway keyed the mike of his radio. Since the
track had 33 degree banking in the turns, Billy Bob became the country's
first unofficial astronaut. The story went that he went a long ways,
very high up and landed "real hard."

Best to watch the frequency of that remote control.

Cheers.