Ok, I'm open to suggestions ... UPDATE

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ok, I'm open to suggestions ... UPDATE
From: iron_horse819@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:12:16 -0700 (PDT)
Last week I asked for suggestions on how to 'unstick' the engine in my TR4-A.
First of all, I would like to thank everyone who publicly or privately replied
with tips.  Here's what I wound up doing, along with my results:

Fri. night:  Used a full can of Liquid Wrench sprayed thru the spark plug holes
in all four cylinders.  Ate dinner.  Came out afterwards and put new 1/2"
breaker bar (3' long) on crank bolt and heaved until I tore one of the rubber
motor mount pieces .... nothing moved.

Sat. a.m.:  climbed back underneath and undid the center main bolts ... eased
the cap off and inspected the journal and bearing ... both looked to be in
great shape (considering) ... oil coating looked like molasses.  Put breaker
bar on crank bolt again ... still nothing moving.  Started removing head.

Sat. p.m.  Bought another can of Liquid Wrench to soak down head bolts ...
removed right rear trailing arm and half-shaft waiting for bolts to loosen up.
Finally got (engine's)head off ...(mine's been screwed on backwards for years!)
Cylinder #1 is full of ATF! (*I* didn't put it there!) Tried the breaker bar
again ... still nothing moving.  Got 2x4 and sledge hammer, wacked the h*ll out
of each piston (splashed ATF all over wife trying to remove undercoating from
right front wheelwell!) Grabbed breaker bar and pulled until I thought I was
going to hurt myself .... With a loud groan I feel the bar starting to move!  I
look at the motor and see pistons 4, 3, 2 moing in their cylinders!  Piston #1
is moving ... sorta.  The liner for #1 has come loose from the block and is
going up and down when I turn the crank.

End results: For the half turn I can get out of it, everything seems to move
freely and easily ... No matter what I try, I can not get piston #1 freed. My
main concerns were that the crankshaft and block be in a rebuildable condition,
and I think I've established that .... Looks like I will be buying at least one
connecting rod tho .... ~g~

Raymond Lucas Hatfield
'65 TR4-A IRS