Re: On-Line "Paint Chips"?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On-Line "Paint Chips"?
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:20:42 -0400
Andrew Mace wrote:

> Chip19474@aol.com had asked:
>
> > > Is there a site I can visit which will display clear images of the various
> > > exterior paint colors used on TR3's, 4's and 6's (all years)....
>
> RANDALL ADAMS replied:
>
> > ...being in the printing business, i know you can't rely on the computer
> > monitor for an acurate color...your best bet is to have a paint dealer
> > for classic cars mail you some samples....
>
> Another option is to visit the longest-established autobody supply shop
> you can find near you. There's a decent chance they'll have the old color
> chip books going back to the 1950s or 1960s.
>
> There are some color charts reproduced on the VTR site. With all due
> respect :-) they are, at best, only somewhat representative of the actual
> colors. (They've always looked dark to me on my computer.) Nice for quick
> reference, but they're no substitute for good color charts, followed by
> your reaction to the actual mixed color.

All this talk about paint chips....

This morning, a good friend of mine who also restores cars for a living called
me
because he had seen something on one of the lists about two weeks ago regarding
website for paint chips for all types of older cars.  He wondered if I saved the
message, but I told him that I didn't remember seeing the message - he can't
remember
which list, so I suspect it is one that I don't read - only so many hours in a
day you
know...

My friend recalls the topic of the message as being about a gentleman in
California
named Nick that was moving his restoration from one shop to another and he was
looking
for paint codes.  One of the replies to the message was this website about the
paint
chips.

I tried searching the archives, etc, but couldn't find a reference to it.

If anyone remembers this thread on one of the other lists, please let me know.

TIA

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars