Question - a sinking GT-6 brake pedal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Question - a sinking GT-6 brake pedal
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:51:30 -0400

In general, the brakes on my GT-6 work good (especially since I switched to Hawk
HPS front pads - now I can actually lock the front wheels in a panic stop).
Problem: the brake pedal sinks very slowly if the petal is VERY lightly applied
and the car is rolling slowly (i.e. creeping traffic on a gentle downhill
slope).  The pedal has sunk to about double the distance (approx. 1 in. off of
the firewall) as when the petal is applied with moderate to firm pressure
(normal stopping - pedal stops approx. 2 in. off of the firewall).   The pedal
does not sink when the car is not rolling - therefor does not appear to be air
in the lines.  The pedal does not sink when moderate to heavy pressure is
applied.  Why?   FWIW, the brake fluid level has not changed in the master cyl.
and the runout on one of the rotors is about 0.008 in. over tolerance (but not
enough to feel a pulse in the brake pedal).

It's been about 7 or 8 years since the last master cylinder rebuild so I am
planning on rebuilding the master cyl. this winter.  Is there any advantage in
having the bore in the master resleeved if it is not pitted?  This is my semi
permanent car and I expect to still have it in 10 years.