Re: Crank end float & Engine noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crank end float & Engine noise
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:30:34 -0400

A thrust washer fell out of my GT-6 engine.  I was blissfully unaware of the
event - no noticeable sound and no difficulty in clutch disengagement.  After I
replaced the 2.0L with a 2.5L  I opened up the bottom end to look at the rod
bearings (I had had numerous spun rod bearings when I first bought the car.  Did
not have the time to dismantle the engine to have the crank ground and rod ends
reconditioned so I bedded new rod bearings into epoxy into the worn rod ends.
This was to be a 5,000 mile "quick and dirty"  fix.  Three years and 30,000
miles later I finally replaced the motor and the bearings looked quite good).
The flywheel mounting hub and block/main bearing had been in contact for quite
some time (due to the missing thrust bearing) based on the significant wear on
both surfaces.

 From memory, my guestimate is that the thrust bearings are about .075 in.
thick.