Re: Crank end float & Engine noise

To: econrad <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Subject: Re: Crank end float & Engine noise
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:52:50 -0400
Cc: TR6 List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Eric,
        You just happened to catch me with dial gauge set up on the end of my
crankshaft waiting for .005+ thrust washers from Moss (TRF was out of
stock-wonder what they do at their engine rebuilding shop, buy from
Moss?). With thrust washers out, end play is .080. With standard
washers, my new crank end play is .010. Tolerances will vary from engine
to engine, but I suspect your thrust washers are in place, but very
worn.
        A word of advice before you get too far along in your engine removal
process. Loosen the head bolts and turn the engine over using the
starter (spark plugs in place but with coil wire removed to keep the
engine from firing) to break the head loose from the block. The head
bolts have a tendency to rust and fuse themselves to the head which
makes bolt and head removal a real bear. And another few words of
advice; buy some good measuring instruments if you are planning to
rebuild the engine yourself. Don't trust machine shops to have their
work in spec. It has cost me way too much time and money to discover
that all but the very best machine shops, none of which are available in
my area, do sloppy, imprecise work.
Good luck and have fun with your rebuild,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U