Re: TR3 problem solved -- maybe

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 problem solved -- maybe
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 19:41:15 -0700
Sumner Weisman wrote:

> Today I took the flasher apart...  Rinsed it
> thoroughly, cleaned the mechanism with a little brush, and baked it dry in
> the oven at 200F for 1/2 hour....

> It now works like new.  There is only one problem.  The green light still is
> on at about half brightness all the time....  Any suggestions?

I suspect that all is still not right in the flasher.  I think you'll find that
if you pull the light green wire from the unit and hook a voltmeter to that
terminal (with ignition on) that you are still getting some current there even
with the turn signal off.

Of course it might be a fault in the control head... you can eliminate that as a
possibility by disconnecting the lead from the head to the flasher unit (green
w/ brown stripe), if disconnecting the wire to the control head makes the dim
green light go out, then the problem would seem to be in the control head.  If
the dash light still glows then it would appear to be a bad flasher.

ISTR that some listers had tried and preferred some newer design flasher (solid
state) though I don't recall what the advantage was (reliability? silence?).  A
look at the archives would probably tell all.

Good luck.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A