Re: SU rebuilding tricks?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU rebuilding tricks?
From: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 09:00:07 -0700 (PDT)
Every foreign car parts store used to sell an SU rebuilding tool kit which
included a jet centering device that you would install in place of the
needle.  You assembled the carb with the device on the piston and secured
the jet.  then you take off the dashpot and replace the device with the needle.

Don Scott

At 10:45 AM 09/04/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>The most important part of rebuilding SUs is to make sure the jets are
>centered.  Do this by assembling the jet assembly and install it in the carb
>body with the jet locking nut (the large one under the carb body) finger
>tight.  Then assemble the needle to the piston, being sure that the shoulder
>on the needle is level with the bottom of the piston.  Assemble the piston
>to the dashpot WITHOUT THE SPRING and install the dashpot on top of the
>carb.  Do not put any oil in the dashpot yet.  Now, hold the carb with the
>needle axis vertical and lift the piston and let it drop.  It should drop to
>the bottom of the carburettor throat with a metallic "thunk".  If you do not
>hear this sound, loosen the jet locknut and retighten, while cycling the
>piston and repeat until you hear the aforementioned "thunk".  At that point,
>the jet is centered and the locknut can be finally tightened.  Check once
>more, then remove the dashpot, install the spring, reinstall the dashpot,
>replace the carb on the manifold, and fill the dashpot with oil to about one
>half inch from the top.  Now, you can tune 'em.  If you need help with this
>stage, e-mail me offline...

The above address is for list purposes only.  Please send private e-mail to:
scottdon@napanet.net

RetroMobilia w/ original advertising artwork featuring:
    Riley 1.5, '62 Buick, '91 Miata Special Edition, & MG TF, & 215 V8
Check it out:
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2508/