Re: Damaged 73 Triumph - Value?

To: Melissa Bowersock <beemeli@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Damaged 73 Triumph - Value?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Melissa Bowersock wrote:

> Hi All - I am new to this list.  I recently came into possession of a 73
> Triumph TR6.  It was involved in a front end collission in 1980 and has been
> in storage ever since.  It has a lot of front end damage, front clip, hood,
> headlights, front fenders, front rims, radiator, pushed engine back,
> shattered windshield, etc.  I need to establish a value for this vehicle "as
> is".  Any idea on who to go to for this?  Also - do you think this vehicle

Check your local sportscar (Triumph!) clubs, see if you can get an
"expert" to come and look at the car.  Myself I pay no more than $500 for
a non-running car, so don't expect much more than that.

> would be worth restoring?  The rest of the vehicle, including interior, is
> in great shape.  It was owned by my brother who recently passed away.
> Thanks for your help.

It sounds like a perfect candidate for a frame-off resto, however frame
off restorations aren't cheap.  Have you got lots of time and inclination?
Ever pulled a frame back to shape?  Chances are some engine parts are
smashed too, so you're looking at quite a bit of work.  If you have
someone else do the work it will probably cost upwards of $30,000 to do it
*all*.  If you do it yourself it will cost the same, but you'll have a
really nice car at the finish.  (FWIW, 30K may be way outta line... I
haven't spent near that amount on my car, but my time is free...)

To do the work yourself, you would need a nice place to work with enough
room for 3 cars (frame, body, engine!), lots of patience, some ingenuity,
and _time_.  Plus some cash to spend on tools.  (Welder, sandblaster, air
toy^H^H^H tools, etc)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm