Re: My Hot Running GT6...a follow up

Subject: Re: My Hot Running GT6...a follow up
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 02:56:15 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Fred :

I was talking about when the engine is so hot that the thermostat is
already wide open.  For example, if you have a 160 thermostat (which
should be fully open by 170 or so), but your engine temperature
stabilizes at 200 on a 90 day, it should stabilize at 180 on a 70 day,
all other things being equal.

I should add that my TR3 is currently running about 10-15 degrees hotter
than the example above, so it will boil on a 90 day, but run at about
200-210 on a 70 day.  Fortunately, the weather has cooled off around
here, so I was able to drive it to work every day last week, with one
eye always on the T-gauge. I hope to get my recored radiator put in real
soon now <g>

Of course, if the engine is cool enough that the thermostat is
controlling the temp, then there will be little change in engine temp
with outside temp, although the average _radiator_ temp will still track
the air temp.  (This is definitely the normal situation, but the
original discussion was for an overheating engine.)

Randall