TR6 - PDWA & Restoration Woes

To: TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 - PDWA & Restoration Woes
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 00:14:43 -0400
Fellow Scions,

I was putting the finishing touches on the restoration yesterday, like I
was almost done, when I noticed a small puddle under the left front.
Under bonnet investigation uncovered that the PDWA was leaking.  As part
of the restoration, I'd replace all brake lines, overhauled the master
cylinder and all four corners as well as rebuilt the PDWA before
refilling the entire system with DOT5 fluid this past June.

To rebuild the PDWA, I'd located a source EP O-Rings and used them on
the valve's shuttle.  The leak was coming up through the electrical
switch, and relatively fast too.  I removed the switch body and inserted
a thin wire to check the position of the shuttle, thinking that I could
at least reposition it to stop the flow while I cursed, drank a beer,
and decided what to do.  To my surprise, the shuttle moved very easily
back and forth, something did not do before this and no position really
stopped it.  I inserted a similiarly threaded bolt and it's stopped for
now at least.

I know what I got to do and I don't relish the though of doing it.
Removal is such a mess.

This device is so simple, too.  Any ideas of what may have happened?  I
figured that silicone would have no effect on the EP O-Rings.

Words of encouragement appreciated,

Gary
'75 TR6 Undergoing Remanufacture
Was Almost Finished