TR6 Distributor

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Distributor
From: Rob C Swift <RobSwift@PetCentre.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:05:34 -0400
Listers,

        Many of you have given me some great advice on my ongoing troubles with
my
distributor.  Hopefully these last few questions will be the end of this
issue!

        After determining that my current distributor has worn out bushings
(wobbly shaft) I have located a used low mileage (30k) replacement.  My two
areas of questions are:

        What items can be replaced on the distributor while I have it out of
the
car?  Victoria British shows a few parts for sale in their catalogs,
including new bushings ($65!) for TR6 Distributors.  Should I consider
rebuilding the 30k distributor before I put it in my car, and how much of
the rebuilding can I do myself? (non machine shop owner!)  I am also
interested in the answer for the 120k distributor I am taking out, which I
am hoping can be salvaged.

        Secondly, as far as replacing the distributor myself, does anyone have
link or a suggestion to tips on replacing the distributor, and setting the
timing for someone that has never done this?  Do you think this is the kind
of project that I should leave up to my mechanic, or is it the kind of
thing where I could replace it and then have a mechanic set the timing?  I
don't know if what I am trying to ask makes sense, I know that none of you
are familiar with my mechanical skills (or lack thereof) but I am just
trying to get a feel for what kind of project this will be.

Thanks again,

Rob Swift
Manassas, Virginia
'75 TR6 (driver)