speedo/odo inaccuracy

To: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedo/odo inaccuracy
From: "James M. Amrine, Jr." <jamrine@home.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:03:24 -0400
I purchased a GT6 sometime back that had the rear end and rear body work
of a Spitfire.  My problem is that the speedo shows a higher speed than
what I am really traveling (35mph= approx. 50mph on speedo guage).  As a
result, miles are stacking up much more quickly than they should.  I
believe the tires are roughly the size of the originals.  Does this
require some kind of gear or something?  Forgive me if I sound naive,
but I don't know much about how the speedo/odo work.

I know the rear end of the Spit has a different ratio than the rear end
of the GT6, but I would think (trying to use some engineering intuition
here, look out) that the speedo would read from the front end.  I can't
seem to find anything in Haynes.

By the way, is Haynes the best manual out there or are there better shop
manuals for these cars?

thanks,
-Jamey