Re: throw-out bearing

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: throw-out bearing
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:26:52 -0600
Fred,

My guess is it's the TO bearing, since you don't have a shifting
problem, but you get noise when it's in the spin position.  And AFAIK
our clutches aren't adjustable.  If the TO bearing was installed onto
the sleeve with too much brute force (e.g. hammered onto the sleeve)
then that could have caused it's premature death.  The TO bearing should
be placed on a light bulb for 20-30 minutes and the sleeve in the
freezer overnight and then gently pushed together (a little anti-seize
on the sleeve helps too).  If you have to tap on the sleeve (use a flat
piece of something between the sleeve and hammer) to get them to mate
then you need to tap then spin the TO bearing, tap and spin, tap and
spin, etc. so that you aren't hammering the same spot on the ball
bearings every time (at least that's my take on it).  Ask the local
parts guy for a 1984-86 Landcruiser TO bearing.  It fits on the new
sleeve you will want to buy (from the usual TR suspects) and they are
impressive in how much sturdier they look.  Did one on my 6 when I put
the OD in for my trip to VTR and so far it's been super.  Oh and I
didn't grease the bearing either and according to Phil Barnes that was
the right thing to do. So far so good.

You could probably go for quite awhile (as long as you can stand the
noise) with your present TO bearing and not create any other problems
but YMMV.  My old TO bearing was wobbly and sounded like a baby rattle
when I replaced it but I'd had zero problems of any kind, no noise, no
shifting problems, nothing.  It's condition though was appalling and I'm
glad I had a reason to change it before the trip.

Good Luck
Bud