Re: throw-out bearing

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: throw-out bearing
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:09:31 -0700

>get a very loud noise

Sounds like the TOB is indeed toast. I have a TR6 that started making light
noise on full clutch engagement and eventually began to howl on the slightest
engagement. Light to howl took about 2 months of daily driving(at least 5 days
a week). After that it took about a week to die(in my driveway). All the while
the shifting was as smooth as ever until the last day when it was doing some
funny shifts on the way home. I know I know, should have broke it down and
fixed it sooner but I'd already bought all the clutch parts. Yes, as other
posters noted, the fingers on the clutch were toasted(some broken and all other
worn badly) as well as the sleeve. Needless to say, the clutch itself still had
plenty of life left in it.  I bought the car back in 11/98 so I'm not sure of
the clutch history. The '74 TR6 does not have a return spring on the slave and
so I think the TOB lightly rides on the clutch fingers all the time. In your
case it sounds like the TOB is going bad and the spring is worn such that it is
letting it ride slightly on the fingers.

I replaced the TOB, TOB sleeve, clutch, pressure plate and rear main seal(as it
was leaking all over the exhaust). When I mounted the TOB on its sleeve I stuck
the sleeve in the freezer about 30 mins(TR list advise of course) and the TOB
slid right over it with only the pressure of my hands. I spun it every few
minutes until the sleeve was at room temp to relieve any stress caused by
uneven warming.

Some say the above freezer trick is the solution to longer life(or at least
reasonable) TOB.
Like I said, not sure on the history of mine but the clutch linings were still
in very good shape. Some say its the OEM TOB itself and a heavy duty Toyota TOB
is real the solution. Seems like I've seen where its available for early TR's.

I'm curious, how did you mount the previous TOB on sleeve?