Re: Powder Coating - does it last?

To: Winnie Olmer <who@sover.net>
Subject: Re: Powder Coating - does it last?
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:08:31 -0400
Cc: "'List - Team.net Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Winnie:
Fred-The Mad Powder Coater- will probably gush on about what a great product
powder coating is- and he's right. He got me started with powder coating and I
can tell you-it's fantastic. Powder is essentially the same organic compunds as
regular wet paint, but without the VOC's (solvents).  For auto applications, you
probably want to use an aliphatic urethane or TGIC polyester for durability and
resistance to ultraviolet light. My understanding is that during the cure cycle
(heat) the molecules are cross-linked which adds to its durability.  To show you
how pervasive powder coating has become in industry, most all of your sink
faucets and  refrigerators are powder coated with at least a clear coat. All
Harley Davidsons have had their frames powder coated since 1987 and Navistar has
been powder coating their diesel engine blocks for the past two years.

Jeff Johnson
'76 TR6