Re: Coolant 50/50 vs. 100% water

To: "Beth and Ken" <BethKen@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Coolant 50/50 vs. 100% water
From: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:16:09 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Somebody suggested that I'd raise my boiling point by putting coolant in.
>I'm running pure water in my VERY hot GT6+ right now because I am
>overheating and don't want to put the coolant into the environment. I always
>thought the car woulkd run a few degrees cooler on pure water? What's the
>deal?

Pure water transfers heat slightly more effectively than antifreeze,
but it boils at, well, the boiling point -- 212 degrees F.  By using
antifreeze in the mix, you can raise the boiling point of the mixture
several tens of degrees (as well as lowering the freezing point quite
a bit).

Also, Ken -- and I have to admit I haven't fully followed this
thread, so bear with me -- are you SURE that the car is actually
overheating?  I have a 1977 Spitfire, and for the first two years I
had it I thought it was always on the verge of overheating.  The
gauge would go WAAAAY over even on mild days.  And I did everything,
flushing the cooling system, having the radiator professionally
cleaned & tested, replaced the water pump, running with heater on.
Even tried to get an oil cooler for it.  The guy I almost got the oil
cooler from said, well, have you checked your gauge.  No, I hadn't.
Lo and behold, the car was fine and the gauge was bad.

Just an idea, and my 2 cents' worth.

Dan

Dan Buettner - Des Moines, Iowa

1977 Spitfire # FM64159U. Currently runs & drives but blows smoke. Lots of it.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3 # TS15098L. Undergoing a frame-off restoration, begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html