RE: TR6 engine woes

To: Sam Perera <sam_perera@yahoo.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 engine woes
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:40:00 +0100
>===== Original Message From Sam Perera <sam_perera@yahoo.com> =====
>On my TVR, the Tr6 unit showed white smoke (water or
>coolant) when started. With a lot of effort over the
>past few weeks, I managed to get the head off of the
>engine.
>
>Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in
>terms of  a cracked head or blown head gasket. NOthing
>obvious was visible on the head gasket. I hate spent
>lots of money on the head and find out that it is
>block problem or something else.

White smoke is water fair enough. However, what did you do to confirm that it
was a leak? Did it overheat, did it loose water?
If not you pulled the head without reason, I hate to say.
As you have the head already off its a bit late for testing the unit so the
only safe way to go is have the head crack tested and checked for trueness.
The block is very unlikely to be cracked, however it might be warped a bit as
well but it can be decked. (not that this is likely)

HTH

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280