(Was: Dirty oil) How often do you change w/ unknown history?

To: "'Triumph Digest List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: (Was: Dirty oil) How often do you change w/ unknown history?
From: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 06:23:29 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I know it is overkill, but with the older cars I've purchased, I always
change oil at a 1500 mile interval to "purge" whatever might be in there
(Castrol 20/50 straight Dino.). I have a large stainless bowl purchased from
a hospital supply house that I clean and then drop the old oil into. With a
magnet at the bottom, I check the oil pretty closely.

With my TR6, I followed this to the letter, filter included. I do know of an
oil analysis available via the MBCA list, but haven't gone there yet.

Anyone else? Am I just, well, compulsive?

John
johnw@wrq.com

'74 TR6
'69 280SEc