Re: Cleaning Nuts & Bolts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning Nuts & Bolts
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:07:07 -0700
I use my sandblast cabinet, putting the nuts loosely on a pieces of
wire. That way, you can clean the threaded section, which is difficult
to get to with a wire wheel. For bolts, I string them together on a wire
and put them into the cabinet. Blasting doesn't remove thread material
like a wire wheel. On greasy items, I soak them in a janitorial product
called Orangeall, available at most janitorial supply houses. Overnight
removes all grease and most paint. I once saw a neat little device for
cleaning small parts. It was a canister of sand attached to a vibrator.
The idea was to put nuts etc. in the canister, and let it run overnight.
Cad plating nuts and bolts is relatively inexpensive from most
industrial platers. For black oxide bolts I simply use Rustolem flat
black, or one could use those oxide systems available from Eastwood.
Jerry Oliver.