Oil Change advice

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Change advice
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:12:07 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Seems like a simple issue, but I would like advice on doing my own oil
changes on my TR6.  The only reason I am asking is that when I was first
introduced to TR6's when I was a kid, my next door neighbor had a tough time
reinstalling the oil filter.  My memory is of a 4-5 quart oil slick on his
garage floor.  I routinely did my own oil changes on American cars until
about ten years ago when the Jiffy Lube prices finally seemed cheap enough
to avoid the hassle and mess.

My car has the original canister type oil filter set up and I intend to
leave it that way for the sake of originality.

My question is - should I do my own oil change or is it too much of a hassle
with this setup?  Any tricks?  I have heard about drilling the hole in the
sheet metal, but that is too extreme for me.  I want to keep it simpler than
all that.

Jack Radley