RE: Copper oil gauge line?

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Copper oil gauge line?
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:06:57 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"

One word of caution here and then I'll shut up about ss/teflon vs copper :-)

Although I can't say with 100% certainty, I suspect that most oil pressure
line kits sold at generic auto stores in North America will contain fittings
in the "common" N. American threads. That would include the 1/8-27 NPT
fittings but not the 1/8-28 BSP fittings the Smiths oil gauge requires.
However, these two threads are pretty close and it is not too hard to make a
1/8 NPT thread fit a 1/8 BSP thread, but they are NOT the same thread.

( If you want proof, just try to fit a commonly available 1/8 NPT grease
nipple into the steering rack plug port of a TR6 -- although the fitting is
actually a 1/8 BSP thread, you'll note the 1/8 NPT nipple seems to thread in
just fine. In this application, I would not worry about the potential for
cross threading. But when it comes to engine oil, personally I prefer to be
more careful. BTW, why do you think the plug for the steering rack is so
much $ at TRF et al? A common NPT plug would not cost the $3 for the plug
(and ~$2 for the nipple). )

So unless you are sure you have a 1/8 BSP fitting attached to your oil press
gauge, I'd be cautious about losing oil. I suspect the female 1/8 NPT
fitting will seem to fit on the gauge but it is not an exact fit so be
careful!

Note: the NPT threads are tapered which is how they achieve their seal (and
why a thread sealer is typically used with these fittings). The BSP threads
are not tapered and the seal is achieved by other means (hence the leather
washer on the back of the oil press gauge).

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---