RE: idl/dwb/dwa--- Speed

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: idl/dwb/dwa--- Speed
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:16:10 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"

A couple of things not clear from this post, but extremely relevant IMO
is...whether it is considered bad form or whatever is augmented by the fact
that in order to get a valid driver's license in Europe (well, Germany at
least), one must pass not only some very difficult exams, but also go
through some pretty intense training classes. The North American driver is
vastly under-educated compared to her German counterpart. For example in the
state of Alabama, I think all one needs for a license is $10 or so and to
fill out a form (perhaps an exaggeration but I think the point I'm making is
clear?). Oh, and of course once you have a license, no need for any periodic
exams to make sure you can still pass.

Furthermore, how many "beaters" are on the roadways of Europe? Close to
none. This I believe stems from the rigorous inspections which cars must
pass before being deemed safe to register. Most of the cars one sees there
are fairly new. In NA it is still relatively easy to pass inspection with a
piece of sh__ heap.

People I know who drive fast in Europe (ie. 200 kph or more, that's 120 mph
for those not famliar with metric units) come here and they can't believe
how ludicrous the driving is. They get virtually lulled to sleep driving on
our highways since they have to maintain a speed at which their attention is
easily lost due to the sheer boredom of "cruising" at 60 mph. In their
opinions, our highways are designed to allow the driver to drive with one
finger on the steering wheel of their big automatic cruisers and engage in
all sorts of other activities (coffee, pop, stereos, etc).

When you drive at the speeds allowed on European highways (or when you know
that others will drive at those speeds even if you choose not to) you tend
to pay a lot more attention to what's going on. Consequently, the majority
of drivers are a lot more alert there than here.

Of course this is all JMO (based on recent first hand observations).

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---
(still savoring the memories of doing 180 kph regularly on a recent trip to
Germany only to have to move over for the large MB or BMW sedans, or the
rare 911 moving at well over 200 kph -- now that's a cool experience!)