RE: idl/dwb/dwa--- Speed

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: idl/dwb/dwa--- Speed
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:15:52 -0400
Peter Zaborski  writes:

>Furthermore, how many "beaters" are on the roadways of Europe? Close to
>none. This I believe stems from the rigorous inspections which cars must
>pass before being deemed safe to register. Most of the cars one sees there
>are fairly new. In NA it is still relatively easy to pass inspection with
>piece of sh__ heap.

On the other hand the mass transit systyems in most of Europe are quite
a viable alternative to driving.  Here in the US we have pretty effectively

dismantled the mass transit systems and driving is now pretty much
a manditory activity.  As a concequence any attempt to stiffen up motoring
requirements is met with justifiable arguments of creating a hardship
for the financially less well off.  I think that the latter can not be
addressed
unless the former is delt with also.

>People I know who drive fast in Europe (ie. 200 kph or more, that's 120
mph
>for those not famliar with metric units) come here and they can't believe
>how ludicrous the driving is. They get virtually lulled to sleep driving
on
>our highways since they have to maintain a speed at which their attention
is
>easily lost due to the sheer boredom of "cruising" at 60 mph. In their
>opinions, our highways are designed to allow the driver to drive with one
>finger on the steering wheel of their big automatic cruisers and engage in
>all sorts of other activities (coffee, pop, stereos, etc).

Or cell phone talking, or book reading (yes, I've seen it done) or other
means of fighting boredom.

>When you drive at the speeds allowed on European highways (or when you
know
>that others will drive at those speeds even if you choose not to) you tend
>to pay a lot more attention to what's going on. Consequently, the majority
>of drivers are a lot more alert there than here.

True.  And you keep a closer eye on the rear view mirror.  Here in the
US some drivers merely ust the mirror to apply makeup or as a place
to hang up the garter he caught at the last wedding he attended.

>Of course this is all JMO (based on recent first hand observations).

Your preaching to the choir in my case.

>- --- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---
>(still savoring the memories of doing 180 kph regularly on a recent trip
>Germany only to have to move over for the large MB or BMW sedans, or the
>rare 911 moving at well over 200 kph -- now that's a cool experience!)

Dave Massey

P.S.  We better drop this non-TR thread before we get our hands slapped.