Re: Motor news (I've heard it all)

To: mporter@zianet.com
Subject: Re: Motor news (I've heard it all)
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:48:45 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/18/99 1:29:08 PM EST, mporter@zianet.com writes:

> As I understand, for years, their work vehicles for such
>  testing were 3.0 liter Porsche-equipped VW buses with rather large air
>  conditioning systems, which reportedly would cruise at 100 mph, and
>  still didn't keep up too well with the test cars. I get the willies
>  thinking about driving one of the pre-Vanagon buses at 100 mph anywhere,
>  let alone African roads.... (!)

What about the Standard Atlas van and Pennant Companion, both loaded to the
proverbial gills, trying to keep up with the prototype Herald saloon and
coupe' as they ran their "Turn Left for Tangiers" proving run, circa 1958?
Considering that all four vehicles were running with some variety of the
mighty 948cc "SC" engine, some with as much as 45-50 hp (!), all carrying
hundreds of pounds just of water and fuel in addition to other supplies. And
no air conditioning (just plenty of tea)!

--Andy

Andrew Mace, in my weekend e-mail guise!