Re: Motor news (I've heard it all)

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Motor news (I've heard it all)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:26:50 -0600
Cc: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Paul Burr wrote:

> At 8:25 PM -0400 9/17/1999, Edward Hamilton wrote:
> >Heard on the radio today....Porsche to offer a SUV.  Once the factory is
> >built, it is estimated that the first model year will be 2002.
>
> Jeez, just what the world needs- another bloated poser mobile who's owners'
> idea of "off roading" is the drive up line at Starbuck's!

Although that would be its principal market, I fear, I can see Porsche
contemplating entering this item in one of the truck rally classes....

Plus, I think they might have been looking for something more
comfortable and classy to carry gear in when doing hot-weather testing
in Africa. As I understand, for years, their work vehicles for such
testing were 3.0 liter Porsche-equipped VW buses with rather large air
conditioning systems, which reportedly would cruise at 100 mph, and
still didn't keep up too well with the test cars. I get the willies
thinking about driving one of the pre-Vanagon buses at 100 mph anywhere,
let alone African roads.... (!)

Cheers.